Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bug reports

I noticed a few new bug reports come in over the last couple of days for the WoW Realm Status Checker app (along with a comment that states that it does not accurately show the realm status). Specifically, there seems to be a force close issue when exiting the app. From what I can tell, this happens when the app is left running for prolonged periods of time. Fortunately, I have the stack traces that users kindly submitted and thus I should have no issue fixing the bug. Unfortunately, I'm on vacation for my senior graduation week right now and will be leaving again for another vacation very shortly thereafter. To compound me being home all of 4 days for the last half of May, I will be moving into a new place after all these vacations are over. In short, because I just moved out of school and I'm kind of in flux until the beginning of June, I probably won't even have the opportunity to fix the issue until then. My computer isn't even unpacked and I don't have an up-to-date version of the source code that I can work on while mobile. Since the issue is occurring when closing the app, I'm guessing the app still gets closed because it force closes, at least that's what I hope.

In short, I will work on a fix as soon as I'm up and running again. I'm sorry to keep people waiting, and I hope you can all understand.

As for the comment saying that the app is not accurately showing the realm status. This could be because Blizzard's feed hasn't updated yet with the fact that your realm is down. Remember, this app gets its data from Blizzard's feed so if it doesn't update when your realm goes down for whatever reason the app won't update either. On the contrary, there always could be something wrong with the app :). I'm new to Android development and I never trust my code (or anyone's, for that matter). I'm a skeptic, so it very well could be an issue I have to fix. If anyone encounters an issue with the app, please be as detailed as possible instead of vaguely telling me the app doesn't work and then giving me a one star rating. It doesn't help me fix anything, all it accomplishes is making me feel like I wrote a terrible app *sadface*.

2 comments:

  1. could you support tw.battle.net for taiwan players. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. At the time of development I don't think the TW Battle.net site had the realm status feed. It looks like it does now. I will work on integrating that.

    ReplyDelete